Managing Your Money
When you have a limited income it is important that you know how to check on where you money is going and what to do if you are having trouble paying back debts.
Contact the MABS Helpline: 0761-072000
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm or visit: www.mabs.ie
The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) is a free and confidential service for people with debt and money management problems. There are 53 MABS services in Ireland, staffed by trained Money Advisers. To find you local MABS service visit: Mabs Local Office
Money Advisers will help you with:
- Being in debt
- Assessing your situation
- Dealing with debt
- Making payments
- Managing your money
- Examine your income to ensure you are not missing out on your entitlements
- Contact / liase with your creditors with offers of payment on your behalf
- Help you decide on the best way to make the payment
Some Personal Budget Tips
- Start by doing your budget weekly and then do it monthly
- Get all members of the family involved
- Work out how much you spend weekly on Gas, ESB, rent, telephone etc
- Work out how much money you will need to put aside to meet future expeneses, e.g. communion, confirmation or car insurance
- Don't forget to include items such as clothing, childcare, household items, medical expenses, sports, gifts, etc.
- Try to put some money asisde every week or every month, even if it only a very small amount
- When buying things on credit or borrowing money don't be tempted to sign any contracts until you have read them fully and thought them over carefully
- Debt only becomes a problem when you can no longer continue to repay a loan or pay the bills - when you are no longer in control. There are ways out of debt.
- Check with the INOU, Local Citizens Information Centre or Resource Centre if you are getting all your entitlements or if there is any way you can increase your income.
- List all your debts in order of importance. If you are in danger of losing your home because of rent / mortgage arrears that debt should be your first priority
- If in difficulity, contact your creditors as soon as possible. Begin with the most important debts. You can explain your situation and prevent any action being taken against you
- Where possible use the services of an advice / support worker when trying to work out a repayment agreement with a creditor e.g. MABS support worker
In dealing with ESB or gas bills the local ESB / Bord Gáis offices should work with the customer to come to a realistic repayment method.