Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance
Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance Scheme
This payment is designed to help meet the costs of school uniforms.
Applications can be made from 1st June to 30th September. You may qualify for the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance if you are:
• In receipt of a Social Welfare payment (including Working Family Payment or Supplementary Welfare Allowance), or
• Taking part in an approved employment scheme (back to work scheme)
• Taking part in a recognised education or training course, or
• Involved in an Area Partnership Scheme, or
• Attending an FET, Fáilte Ireland or Local Employment Services (LES) training
The payment is means tested based on gross income, less PRSI and reasonable
travel expenses, and is as follows:
Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance Income Limits
|Children:||1 Child||2 Children||3 Children||4 Children|
|*Each extra child €37|
|**Each extra child €37|
BTSCFA – Rates of Payment:
• The allowance paid for each eligible child aged 4-11 on or before 30th September 2019 is €150.
• The allowance paid for each eligible child aged 12-22 on or before 30th September 2019 is €275.
The allowance will only be paid for eligible children aged 18-22 who are in second-level education.
BTSCFA – Application Process:
The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection pays BSCFA automatically to many customers.
This means that they do not have to apply for the payment. If you qualify automatically, you should receive a letter stating when and how your Allowance will be paid.
If you do not receive a letter, you may have to make an application to the BSCFA section which is based in the
Department’s Sligo office. Further information on how to apply for this payment is available on the Department’s website: www.welfare.ie/backtoschool