When you have a limited income it is important that you know:
- How to check where you money is going
- What to do if you are having trouble paying back debts.
Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS)
The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) is a free and confidential service for people with debt and money management problems. There are 53 MABS services in Ireland, staffed by trained Money Advisers.
For further information visit:
Keepingyourhome.ie is provided by the Citizens Information Board and the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS). Keepingyourhome.ie aims to provide comprehensive information on the services and entitlements available if you are having difficulties paying your rent or making your mortgage repayments. Keepingyourhome.ie is based on content from www.citizensinformation.ie and www.mabs.ie.
Some Personal Budget Tips
- Start by doing your budget weekly and then do it monthly
- Get all members of the family involved
- Work out how much you spend weekly on Gas, ESB, rent, telephone etc
- Work out how much money you will need to put aside to meet future expeneses, e.g. communion, confirmation or car insurance
- Don't forget to include items such as clothing, childcare, household items, medical expenses, sports, gifts, etc.
- Try to put some money asisde every week or every month, even if it only a very small amount
- When buying things on credit or borrowing money don't be tempted to sign any contracts until you have read them fully and thought them over carefully
- Debt only becomes a problem when you can no longer continue to repay a loan or pay the bills - when you are no longer in control. There are ways out of debt.
- Check with the INOU, Local Citizens Information Centre or Resource Centre if you are getting all your entitlements or if there is any way you can increase your income.
- List all your debts in order of importance. If you are in danger of losing your home because of rent / mortgage arrears that debt should be your first priority
- If in difficulity, contact your creditors as soon as possible. Begin with the most important debts. You can explain your situation and prevent any action being taken against you
- Where possible use the services of an advice / support worker when trying to work out a repayment agreement with a creditor e.g. MABS support worker
In dealing with ESB or gas bills the local ESB / Bord Gáis offices should work with the customer to come to a realistic repayment method.